The Princess Needs a New Dress…Yeah, Right!!

My daughter, Sophie, is about to turn 3 next month.  I can’t believe it’s almost been 3 years since she was born.  Where does the time go??  She is a sweetheart.  She is also very challenging.  She already has the “Moooommmmm” phrase down pat.  I wonder what the teen years will bring!!  We went through about 1 year of physical therapy because by about 16 months, she wasn’t walking.  She was barely putting weight on her feet.  There was nothing physically wrong, she was just content for us to carry her everywhere & get stuff for her 🙂  She’s a bit spoiled.

ImageWe call this her model pose 🙂  She is really a joy in our lives.

I found a cute dress on Pinterest that I just had to make for her.  In an earlier post, I made a Pillowcase dress which turned out really cute, but sewing the armholes frustrated me to no end.  I don’t know what I was doing that made them so hard, but it made me almost want to throw the dress out the window.

Then, I came across this dress…no armholes to sew!!!!!  Woo hoo!!!  Here’s the link:

http://www.happytogethercreates.com/2011/06/let-freedom-ring-dress-tutorial.html

This dress posed a new challenge…ruffles.  I had never ruffled anything in my life (except for maybe a few feathers…hee hee)!!  So, after carefully reading the instructions about a dozen times & watching some tutorials on YouTube, I felt comfortable enough to try.

Image

Tada!  At this point, I had not hemmed the dress, but I was so excited that I had finished, I just had to take the picture.  It was also really late by the time I had gotten to this point, so I was headed to bed & would finish up in the morning.

ImageShe really likes the dress…she was just not in a picture taking mood.  One thing I’ve learned about Sophie, if she doesn’t want to do it, it’s not going to happen.

Image

My opinion:  The dress went together fairly quickly and was inexpensive.  I bought the tank tops in a package of 3, so I have 2 more dresses to make!  You need very little fabric for the skirt part (unless you’re making it for a bigger girl).  The directions were easy to follow.  The tricky part for me was sewing the different tiers together, but I’m sure a semi-experienced sewer would have no problems.  This dress took about 3ish hours to make, but that’s not really a fair estimate.  While I was cutting the fabric out, we were also having a big wind storm that made our power blink off & on for about 45 minutes.  This is a nice day project that will give you wonderful results!!  Happy sewing 🙂

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s